St. Matthew identifies St. Joseph as “an upright man”. The original text uses the just word, which reflects that he lived according to God’s standard, keeping the commandments and emulating his fatherly love.
St. Joseph appears for the first time in the childhood narratives of the Gospel. While St. Luke’s Gospel focuses on the Annunciation to Mary, St. Matthew’s Gospel focuses on St. Joseph.
Here, St. Joseph is presented engaged to the Virgin Mary when he discovered she was pregnant. In Jewish society, when a couple formally committed themselves by declaring their intention before two witnesses, they were considered married as husband and wife.
After a year, the groom usually went to the bride’s house with a grand ceremony and took her to their own home, where they consummated the marriage and lived together as husband and wife.
St Joseph Novena Day 2: Knowing how to carry our poverty with patience
1. By the Sign of the Cross
By the sign of the cross deliver us from our enemies, you who are our God. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen
2. Act de contrition
O, my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you. I detest all my sins because of your just punishment, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin.
– Ask here for the grace you wish to attain –
3. Preliminary Prayer
O most glorious Father of Jesus, Spouse of Mary. Patriarch and Protector of the Holy Church, to whom the Eternal Father entrusted the care of governing, governing and defending the Holy Family on earth; protect us too, who belong as faithful Catholics, from the holy family of your Son, which is the Church, and obtain for us the goods necessary for this life, and above all the spiritual help for eternal life.
Obtain for us especially these three graces: Never committing any mortal sin, especially against chastity; a sincere love and devotion to Jesus and Mary; and a good death, receiving the last Sacraments well.
Grant also the special grace that we ask each one in this novena. Amen.
St Joseph Novena Day 2:
Know How to bear with Patience our poverty
O most benign Jesus, just as you consoled your beloved father in the poverty and helplessness of Bethlehem, with your birth, and with the songs of the angels and visits of the shepherds, so we humbly beg you, through the intercession of St. Joseph, to grant us with patience to bear our poverty and helplessness in this life, and that you joy our spirit with your presence and your grace and the hope of glory.
4. Final Prayer
O custodian and father of Virgins Saint Joseph to whose faithful custody were entrusted the same innocence of Christ Jesus and the Virgin of the virgins Mary; for these two very dear garments Jesus and Mary, I beg you and beg you to reach me, that preserved from all impurity, I always serve chastely with clean soul, pure heart and chaste body to Jesus and Mary. Amen.
- Jesus, Joseph, and Mary, I give you my heart and my soul
- Jesus, Joseph, and Mary Assist me in my last agony.
- Jesus, Joseph, and Mary, May my soul rest in peace with you.
- Our Father: Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.
- Hail Mary: Hail Mary full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed are thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
- Glory be: Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was, in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
Antiphon. He had the same Jesus, at the beginning of his public life, about thirty years old, son, according to what was thought of Joseph.
- V. St. Joseph, pray for us.
- R. That we may be worthy to fulfill the promises of Jesus Christ.
O God that with ineffable providence you deign to choose the Blessed Joseph by the husband of your Blessed mother; Grant that, as we venerate him as a protector on Earth, we deserve to have him as the protector in the heavens. O God you live and reign in the centuries of the centuries. Amen.
6. Prayers for each Novena days:
Novena to Saint Joseph – Second Day Video
- The Novena of Saint Joseph
- Those little prayers Francis slips under his St. Joseph statue”, La Stampa, April 30, 2014
- Prayer to St. Joseph After the Rosary
- Externals of the Catholic Church Her Government, Ceremonies, Festivals, Sacramentals, and Devotions By John Francis Sullivan
Did this Prayer help you? Share it to Help Others, too!
Please, Help this Prayer reaches as many people as possible. Just Click below to share it in your favorite social networks. Thank you so much!
I love you, and Our Holy God Bless you!