Tradition has it that St. Joseph died before Jesus began his public ministry. This belief is based on two points: First, he never appeared during the public ministry while Mary did, as at the wedding feast at Cana; and second, from the cross, Jesus entrusted the care of His mother to St. John the Apostle, indicating that she was a widow and that there were no other children to care for her.
Tradition also holds that St. Joseph died in the presence of Jesus and Mary. For this reason, St. Joseph is the patron saint of a holy death.
Although not defined by the Magisterium, St. Francis de Sales believed that St. Joseph was assumed body and soul in Heaven:
“What remains to be said now, if not that, we must by no means doubt that this glorious saint enjoys much credit in Heaven in the company of Him who favored him so much as to raise him there, in body and soul; something which is much more probable since we have no relic of him here below on earth. It seems to me that no one can doubt this truth; for how could he have refused this grace to St. Joseph, who had been obedient at all times in all his life?” (Complete Works).
St Joseph Novena Day 5: Deliver us from those who seek to harm our soul
1. By the Sign of the Cross
By the sign of the cross delivers us from our enemies, you who are our God. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen
2. Act de contrition
O, my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you. I detest all my sins because of your just punishment, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin.
– Ask here for the grace you wish to attain –
3. Preliminary Prayer
O most glorious Father of Jesus, Spouse of Mary. Patriarch and Protector of the Holy Church, to whom the Eternal Father entrusted the care of governing, governing and defending the Holy Family on earth; protect us too, who belong as faithful Catholics, from the holy family of your Son, which is the Church, and obtain for us the goods necessary for this life, and above all the spiritual help for eternal life.
Obtain for us especially these three graces: Never committing any mortal sin, especially against chastity; a sincere love and devotion to Jesus and Mary; and a good death, receiving the last Sacraments well.
Grant also the special grace that we ask each one in this novena. Amen.
St Joseph Novena Day 5:
Deliver us from those who seek to harm our soul
O most gracious Jesus, as your beloved father led you from Bethlehem to Egypt to deliver you from the tyrant Herod, so we humbly beseech you, through the intercession of St. Joseph, to deliver us from those who would harm our souls or our bodies, to give us strength and salvation in our persecutions, and in the midst of the exile of this life to protect us until we fly to our homeland!
4. Final Prayer
O custodian and father of Virgins Saint Joseph to whose faithful custody were entrusted the same innocence of Christ Jesus and the Virgin of the virgins Mary; for these two very dear garments Jesus and Mary, I beg you and beg you to reach me, that preserved from all impurity, I always serve chastely with clean soul, pure heart and chaste body to Jesus and Mary. Amen.
- Jesus, Joseph, and Mary, I give you my heart and my soul
- Jesus, Joseph, and Mary Assist me in my last agony.
- Jesus, Joseph, and Mary, May my soul rest in peace with you.
- Our Father: Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.
- Hail Mary: Hail Mary full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed are thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
- Glory be: Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was, in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
Antiphon. He had the same Jesus, at the beginning of his public life, about thirty years old, son, according to what was thought of Joseph.
- V. St. Joseph, pray for us.
- R. That we may be worthy to fulfill the promises of Jesus Christ.
O God that with ineffable providence you deign to choose the Blessed Joseph by the husband of your Blessed mother; Grant that, as we venerate him as a protector on Earth, we deserve to have him as the protector in the heavens. O God you live and reign in the centuries of the centuries. Amen.
6. All nine Days Novena Prayers:
St Joseph Novena – Day 5 Video
- The Novena of Saint Joseph
- Those little prayers Francis slips under his St. Joseph statue”, La Stampa, April 30, 2014
- Prayer to St. Joseph After the Rosary
- Externals of the Catholic Church Her Government, Ceremonies, Festivals, Sacramentals, and Devotions By John Francis Sullivan
Did this Prayer help you? Share it to Help Others, too!
Please, Help this Prayer reaches as many people as possible. Just Click below to share it in your favorite social networks. Thank you so much!
I love you, and Our Holy God Bless you!