St. Joseph has been venerated in our beloved Church as a very enriching figure for our liturgy. Since the legalization of Christianity in 313 A.D., a Mass has been offered in his honor, beginning in the east.
Pope John XXIII, on November 13, 1962, ordered that St. Joseph’s name be inserted into the Roman Canon (Eucharistic Prayer I), appropriate recognition for the Guardian of the Universal Church.
In addition, St. Joseph’s Day on March 19 is a solemnity and traditionally a sacred day of obligation throughout the universal Church (Code of Canon Law, # 1246); however, the United States was granted an exemption from the requirement at the request of the Third Plenary Council of Baltimore (1884) because of the difficulty of observing holy days in a non-Catholic setting.
In 1955, Pope Pius XII established the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker on May 1 to present St. Joseph as the example of all working men and to focus on the true dignity of human labor in contrast to the celebrations of the “May First” communist countries.
May each of us honor and value the example of St. Joseph, trusting in his prayers to help us on the path of salvation!
St Joseph Novena Day 8: Dying like a saint as St Joseph
1. By the Sign of the Cross
By the sign of the cross delivers us from our enemies, you who are our God. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen
2. Act de contrition
O, my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you. I detest all my sins because of your just punishment, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin.
– Ask here for the grace you wish to attain –
3. Preliminary Prayer
O most glorious Father of Jesus, Spouse of Mary. Patriarch and Protector of the Holy Church, to whom the Eternal Father entrusted the care of governing, governing and defending the Holy Family on earth; protect us too, who belong as faithful Catholics, from the holy family of your Son, which is the Church, and obtain for us the goods necessary for this life, and above all the spiritual help for eternal life.
Obtain for us especially these three graces: Never committing any mortal sin, especially against chastity; a sincere love and devotion to Jesus and Mary; and a good death, receiving the last Sacraments well.
Grant also the special grace that we ask each one in this novena. Amen.
St Joseph Novena Day 8:
Dying like a saint as Saint Joseph
O most benign Jesus, who at the hour of his death consoled your glorious father, attending together with your Mother, his wife, his last agony, we humbly beg you, through the intercession of St. Joseph, to grant us a death similar to his assisted by your goodness, your Most Holy Mother and the same glorious Patriarch protector of the dying, pronouncing at death your most holy names, Jesus, Mary and Joseph.
4. Final Prayer
O custodian and father of Virgins Saint Joseph to whose faithful custody were entrusted the same innocence of Christ Jesus and the Virgin of the virgins Mary; for these two very dear garments Jesus and Mary, I beg you and beg you to reach me, that preserved from all impurity, I always serve chastely with clean soul, pure heart and chaste body to Jesus and Mary. Amen.
- Jesus, Joseph, and Mary, I give you my heart and my soul
- Jesus, Joseph, and Mary Assist me in my last agony.
- Jesus, Joseph, and Mary, May my soul rest in peace with you.
- Our Father: Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.
- Hail Mary: Hail Mary full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed are thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
- Glory be: Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was, in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
Antiphon. He had the same Jesus, at the beginning of his public life, about thirty years old, son, according to what was thought of Joseph.
- V. St. Joseph, pray for us.
- R. That we may be worthy to fulfill the promises of Jesus Christ.
O God that with ineffable providence you deign to choose the Blessed Joseph by the husband of your Blessed mother; Grant that, as we venerate him as a protector on Earth, we deserve to have him as the protector in the heavens. O God you live and reign in the centuries of the centuries. Amen.
6. All Nine Days Novena Prayers:
St Joseph Novena – Day 8 Video
- The Novena of Saint Joseph
- Those little prayers Francis slips under his St. Joseph statue”, La Stampa, April 30, 2014
- Prayer to St. Joseph After the Rosary
- Externals of the Catholic Church Her Government, Ceremonies, Festivals, Sacramentals, and Devotions By John Francis Sullivan
Did this Prayer help you? Share it to Help Others, too!
Please, Help this Prayer reaches as many people as possible. Just Click below to share it in your favorite social networks. Thank you so much!
I love you, and Our Holy God Bless you!